When it comes to essential oils the saying “I’d rather be safe than sorry” should be taken seriously. Essential oils are very potent and may cause *irritation to some skin types. To be safe, rather than sorry, always start by applying the essential oil to the least sensitive part of your body, the bottom of your feet.
Where to Apply Essential Oils On the Body
- Soles and top of feet
- Over Vital Organs
- Upper Back
- Behind Ears
- Crown of Head
So, really you can apply essential most anywhere on your body.
How to Apply Essential Oils
Before you start, always remember to test a small area of the skin first. If irritation occurs, immediately add a carrier oil over the irritated spot to help dilute the essential oil.
If you only remember ONE thing from this post, I want it to be this: When it comes to using essential oils, LESS is better! Like stated before, essential oils are very potent and you don’t need very much to get the therapeutic benefits of using essential oils. You can always add more if needed.
Diluting Essential Oils
- For children and infants: 1 drop of essential oil per Tbsp of carrier oil is generally a safe rule to follow (.2% dilution).
- For Adults: 2 drops of essential oil per tsp of carrier oil (0.75%).
- When using in a massage a 2%-5% dilution is a good start.
- Click here for carrier oils.
Applying Essential Oils Neat
There are some essential oils that sometimes can be applied neat. I usually do not recommend this though. If you choose to apply the essential oil neat, please get advice from an experienced Aromatherapist first.
Now that we have gone over all of the basics, this is how I like to use my essential oils when applying to my body (use the above recommendations for diluting):
- When I am not feeling my best, I like to apply diluted Germ Fighter and Immune Aid to the bottom of my feet and Respir Aid to my chest. This helps support healthy immune function.
- When I have occasional stomach problems, I like to apply diluted Gut Aid or Tummy Aid (depending on the problem) to my stomach. I will massage in a circular motion.
- For head or neck tension, I like to apply diluted Tension Relief or Peppermint to my temples, forehead and/or back of the neck.
- When my muscles are occasionally sore from exercise or overuse, I will apply diluted Muscle Aid or Rapid Relief to the affected area.
- When I am in need of some an energy boost or in need of relaxing, I like to apply diluted Energy or Invigor Aid (for energy) to my wrist and Relax or Tranquil (for relaxing) to my wrist. I will take a whiff when needed!
- These are usually the essential oils that I will apply to my body (or families body) when needed! Remember there are so many more essential oils you can use and so many more uses for these essential oils! These are just the ones that I apply to my body most often!
For more essential oils and their uses, check out www.planttherapy.com. Just click on the essential oil you want to learn more about and read their suggested uses ideas!
Some Essential Oils that May Cause Irritation
- Fir Needle
- Sage (Dalmation)
Cautions: prevent any illness or disease nor is it intended to replace proper medical advice. When using essential oils we always recommend you consult with your doctor.