By: Christina Smith, Certified Aromatherapist
Creating a linen spray is very simple and fun. Linen sprays can be used to relax in the evening if applied to the bed linens or to refresh your living room by spray on the curtains or even just misting the air. You can customize scents to your specific needs or create a special blend for gifts. Here are the basics and a few “recipes” to get you started! As an added bonus, we’ve included a PDF for some printable labels at the bottom!
What you’ll need:
What you’ll do:
- First, add your vodka to your spray bottle.
- Next, add your essential oils. Since we are spritzing linen’s we don’t need to be overly concerned about dilution rates here. However, a rule of thumb is about 20 drops per ounce of spray you are making. So in a 4-ounce bottle, a size I generally use, you’ll want a total of 80 drops.
- Then, allow your oils to meld with the vodka for about an hour (at least). You can let it sit longer.
- Shake well and spray down your bed, sofa or curtains to create an inviting and relaxing atmosphere!
Here are a few “drop recipes” to get you started: listed for 1 ounce (or 30 mL), multiply up as needed for your container. So if you have a 4-ounce container, multiply each number by 4 to get the correct ratio.
- For peaceful rest combine 7 drops Mandarin, 10 drops Lavender and 3 drops Cedarwood Himalayan
- To create a romantic mood combine 10 drops Bergamot, 5 drops Sandalwood and 3 drops Ylang Ylang Complete
- An uplifting blend of 12 drops Orange Sweet, 4 drops Ylang Ylang Complete and 2 drops Lime.
- For an easy DIY, add 20 drops/ounce of Relax