If you love super-woody smells that take you to another world, then you’ll love Sandalwood Essential Oil!
Derived from the wood of the sandalwood tree in India and Australia, Sandalwood Essential Oil has long been cherished for its soft, creamy and woody scent. This beloved essential oil comes with an assortment of health benefits, and is often used in aromatherapy and skincare applications (especially when paired with a carrier oil).
Before we dive in, let’s go over the two most common types of Sandalwood: Indian Sandalwood (Santalum album) and Australian Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum). The Indian variety is a bit more earthy and woody, while the Australian version is often described as soft and sweet. The main difference between the two is that Australian Sandalwood tends to contain less santalol, an ingredient that has health benefits.
People have been using Sandalwood for centuries in religious ceremonies and for medicinal applications. Our ancestors used it to soothe burns, assist with excessive sweating, and calm nerves. Plus, there’s some evidence to suggest that Sandalwood could be incredibly valuable health-wise. Some studies show that it can help increase alertness, dull worry, and support faster wound healing.
How to Put Sandalwood Oil to Good Use
- Meditation Mastery: Because it’s historically been used in religious ceremonies and other applications to clear the mind, Organic Sandalwood is perfect for filling your meditation space with something sweet and soothing. We recommend diffusing to enjoy gentle, sedative effects.
- Anti-aging Elixirs: Sandalwood is all natural, which makes it very popular for various skin-related applications. When paired with an extra-beneficial carrier oil, it can be used to soothe redness, blemishes, dry skin and fine lines.
- Calming Candles: Pair the soft, woody smell with other vibrant scents—Ylang Ylang, Lavender, Patchouli, you name it—to create aromatherapy candles to calm you down when you need it the most. Learn how to make your own essential oil candles with all your favorite scents.
- Natural Health Boosters: Studies show that Sandalwood can have some measurable health benefits, from helping reduce symptoms associated with blood pressure issues, to making you feel more alert. One of the most amazing things about this oil is a compound called a-santalol, which helps promote healthy skin. It’s not a bad idea to toss this oil in your medicine cabinet!
- Hydrating Hair Oil: When mixed with Argan Carrier Oil or Fractionated Coconut Oil, Sandalwood can work wonders on dry, dull hair. Put a few drops of Sandalwood mixed with your preferred carrier oil in the palm of your hand and massage it into the hair. A little bit goes a long way, so even a small amount is great for extreme dryness.
- Make it a Mask: Use Sandalwood and a thickening agent ,such as avocado, oatmeal, or honey, to create a paste you can apply to your face as a mask. For topical application to the face, we suggest a 1% dilution (3 drops of Sandalwood to 10 mL, or two teaspoons, of carrier oil). Leave the mask on your skin for 10 to 15 minutes so it can soak up all of the oil’s essential benefits.
- Major Mood–Lifters: Another great benefit of Sandalwood is that it’s known to perk you up and lift your spirits. Add a few drops of the diluted oil to your aromatherapy locket for an instant pick-me-up or diffuse it at work for an easy mood booster and to support memory.
- Get More Sleep: When we think of relaxing essential oils, we often think of Lavender and Chamomile. But there are many other oils that can be used for this purpose, too! Sandalwood is ideal for diffusing at bedtime to support a restful night of sleep.
Getting Started with Sandalwood
Regardless of if you choose Australian or Indian Sandalwood, you’ll enjoy a delightful fragrance and many unique health benefits. Both kinds start as fragrant wood and turn into oil through the process of steam distillation. Add a few drops to a tablespoon of bubble bath and drop it in hot bath water, diffuse it into the air or rub diluted oil directly onto your skin…this high-quality essential oil is amazingly versatile!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.