The high(ish) price tag on Helichrysum Italicum Essential Oil has a reason behind it: Helichrysum is a powerhouse oil and it’s so widely used that it’s now in shorter and shorter supply (7). Actually, true Helichrysum Italicum Oil, also known as Immortelle, is grown only in a few spots around the world and is unsurpassed in its ability to rejuvenate the look of healthy, unblemished skin.
Helichrysum originally comes from the Mediterranean, where this plant has been used for its medicinal properties for thousands of years, especially in countries like Italy, Spain, Turkey, Portugal, and Bosnia and Herzegovina (3).
In the quest to figure out what makes Helichrysum Italicum so useful, there have been many scientific studies conducted in the last several decades. The focus of many of these studies has been to figure out exactly how Helichrysum Essential Oil works as a natural antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory agent.
Modern science is helping to confirm what traditional people have known for centuries: Helichrysum Essential Oil contains special properties that make it an excellent antioxidant, an antibacterial, an anti-fungal, and an anti-inflammatory. It contains the major constituents of:
- Neryl acetate
- Italidione I
Because of these useful chemical components, this essential oil can be used in many, many different ways to help boost health (6). Some of its most popular uses are for treating wounds, infections, digestive problems, supporting the nervous system and heart health, and helping with respiratory issues (1).
1. It’s great for your skin’s health.
One scientific review found that Helichrysum’s flavonoids and terpene compounds were effective in fighting against dangerous bacteria that can cause issues ranging from minor skin rashes to much more serious problems (4).
Thanks to Helichrysum’s anti-inflammatory properties, people also frequently use this essential oil on scars to discourage inflammation, help aid in healing, and keep skin healthy. This essential oil also has anti-allergenic properties, making it a great natural remedy to help with the irritation that comes with hives (4).
To use Helichrysum Essential Oil for soothing and healing the skin, combine 2-3 drops with one Tbsp carrier oil (like Fractionated Coconut Oil or Jojoba Oil) and rub the mixture onto the area of concern. This is great for use on irritated skin, redness, scars, blemishes, rashes, and shaving irritation. And if you have a rash or poison ivy, applying Helichrysum mixed with Lavender Essential Oil can help cool and soothe itching.
2. It helps boost your skincare routine.
Another great way to use Helichrysum Essential Oil is on the skin as a natural way to help keep skin healthy and blemish-free.
Helichrysum makes a great addition to your daily skin routine. The added benefit to this oil is that it works without drying the skin, or causing any other irritating side effects (like the ones by harsh chemical acne treatments or medications).
3. It’s a natural way to help keep your stomach feeling great.
Helichrysum can help stimulate the secretion of gastric juices that are needed to break down food and prevent indigestion. For example: For thousands of years in Turkish folk medicine, the oil has been used as a diuretic, helping to avoid feelings of bloating by helping draw out excess water out of the body, and for relieving stomachaches (3).
The flowers of Helichrysum Italicum is also a traditional remedy for intestinal complaints and have been used historically as a herbal tea for relieving digestive, stomach-related issues.
Scientific research has tested Helichrysum Italicum as a natural remedy for digestive upset and intestinal diseases. Additionally, animal research published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology demonstrated Helichrysum’s natural antispasmodic properties, the reason it’s able to help with symptoms of intestinal complaints (2).
4. It helps keeps your kidneys healthy
Helichrysum Essential Oil is often used to help prevent kidney stones and promote kidney health, keeping your kidney’s and liver refreshed and protected.
5. It has immune-boosting properties.
Since the biggest part of the immune system is located in the gut, and Helichrysum Essential Oil can help boost bodily immunity, it makes this essential oil a no-brainer to turn to when keeping your immune system in top shape. Also, in clinical studies, the flavonoids and phloroglucinols of Helichrysum Oil helped stop harmful bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
- Daniela, R. Formisano, C. Senatore, F. Piacente, S. Pagano, E. Capasso, E. Borrelli, F. Angelo A. (2013) Intestinal antispasmodic effects of Helichrysum italicum (Roth) Don ssp. italicum and chemical identification of the active ingredients. Journal of Ethnopharmacology.
- Martinez-de Oliveira, J. (2014) Helichrysum italicum: from traditional use to scientific data. Journal of Ethnopharmacology.
- Nostro A, Bisignano G, Angela Cannatelli M, Crisafi G, Paola Germanò M, Alonzo V. (2001) Effects of Helichrysum italicum extract on growth and enzymatic activity of Staphylococcus aureus. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents.
- Robbins, W. (2018) Helichrysum Essential Oil (Immortelle Essential Oil). AromaWeb.
- Tisserand, R. (1995) Essential Oil Safety.
- Tisserand, R. (2014) Robert Tisserand Interviewed on Ingestion, Dilution and Other Safety Issues. Robert Tisserand.