Christmas and the holidays can be a special and magical time for so many families. But it can also be one of the most hectic, stressful times of the year that will leave you saying “bah humbug”. After all, the beautiful moments we see on Instagram don’t really tell us the whole truth. Sure, that pie is perfect, but we don’t the mess of dirty dishes still in the sink. The idyllic post with kids who are quietly watching a Christmas movie doesn’t show you that just minutes before they were fighting. And maybe all the focus on family and spending time with your loved ones only reminds you of loved ones who have passed or relationships that are broken. Whatever the cause for holiday stress, there are some things you can do to help manage the craziness so you can enjoy the season.
Take Some You Time
You’ve spent time creating your shopping list, tracking down the perfect gifts, planning the family meals, decorating, baking, wrapping… and oh the list goes on. It can be stressful trying to stay on top of it all. It’s important in all of the chaos to take some time to yourself. So much of the holiday season focuses on supporting the needs of others, but it can be easy to take that too far. You may start to feel like you have no time for yourself since your energy is always used on what other people need. But it won’t be long until your stress level has you feeling both mentally and physically spent. Remember. it’s OKAY to say no. The holidays are there for your enjoyment as well. You can absolutely politely decline an engagement or party if you’re really wanting some quiet time to yourself. Enjoy that bubble bath or silly Christmas rom-com. Say yes to the cookies, take a deep breath and take some time to yourself.
On the subject of Christmas cookies, it’s important to enjoy life and indulge a little bit while also paying attention to our health and bodies. As tempting as it might be to forgo the gym or regular exercise habits in December, don’t forget that when you constantly miss out on your regular exercise, your mood can be negatively impacted. Even if you’re not up to trekking the gym in the cold weather or going for a run, there are plenty of other ways to keep yourself moving. Taking just 20 minutes out of your evening for some deep stretching on the living room floor can really help you relax and wind down from the day’s stress.
Reach Out for Support
If you’re feeling stressed out right now, trust us, you are not alone. A lot of people are struggling with stress this time of year, for so many different reasons! Maybe you’re worried about giving enough presents, making sure every holiday event goes perfectly, or even wondering what to do with your kids during their winter break from school. No matter what is making your holidays hectic, don’t be afraid to reach out for support if you need it. Family and friends are often more than happy to help! Especially when they know they can count on you to return the favor if they need it.
And Reach for Essential Oils
When you’re feeling overwhelmed with stress, reach for an essential oil that can help calm you down. If you’re at home, you can diffuse, make a relaxing bath, or enjoy a linen spray to help soothe holiday nerves. When you’re out and about, fill up your personal inhaler with your favorite calming oil and pull it out whenever the stress is building up. You could also whip up an easy lotion using an unscented base and a few drops of your favorite comforting essential oil. Here are a few oils that are known for their relaxing and calming properties.
- Chamomile: Add either the Roman or German variety to your favorite bath salt DIY as a way to unwind after a long day or diffuse just before bedtime to help the mind relax before sleep.
- Vetiver: This oil is calming, soothing and can even help release negative feelings associated with stress. It blends beautifully with many floral essential oils, so play around with it to find a calming aroma that suits you.
- Bergamot: This fresh-smelling oil is excellent for brightening the mood and lifting spirits. If stress has you feeling down, let this beautiful citrusy and fruity fragrance help boost your mood.
- Relax: Wonderful for emotional support, this blend helps promote a peaceful state of mind and creates a relaxing environment. Perfect for melting away all of that holiday stress.
- Let It Go: This blend is excellent when you want to bring a sense of peace and calm to your life. If you’re experiencing nervous irritation from stress, add a few drops to your personal inhaler and enjoy!
- Grapefruit: If you’re looking for a little pick-me-up to help you get through the day, Grapefruit is the ideal choice. Its sweet, juicy fresh citrus scent can help to lighten up mental fatigue and moodiness.
- Spruce Black: In addition to smelling like a beautiful Christmas tree, Spruce Black, along with other coniferous oils, are wonderful for lifting the spirits and beating the winter blues.
- Calming the Child: Contrary to what you might think, this one’s for adults too! The sweet and fruity aroma of this synergy helps to promote a tranquil atmosphere. Diffuse it throughout the day or just before bedtime to help calm the mind and slow turbulent emotions.
Give CBD a Try
CBD has so many potential benefits, including helping with stress and anxiety! We have several different strengths (and even some holiday bundles) for you to choose from. We recommend starting at a lower serving and working your way up, paying careful attention to how your body reacts.
For more great tips and tricks for managing the holidays, be sure to Safe Essential Oil Recipes (SEOR) Facebook Group!